War in Lebanon

at is happening in lebanon on the spot

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Long journey came to an end...

Yes, I have made it to Amman, now last destination, Paris.
during my trip, I got contacted by a journalist from CBC




(Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) that came across this blog. (I am going to admit it, I am happy and proud, because this shows that my work isn t going to waist)
so this is the e mail i wrote back to her explaining what happened during these 10h of road trip:

"you want to leave but have no clue when, so you start packing. you can wait 3 days with your suitcase on your bed using old clothes and re washing your underwear as fast as possible in order not to have to repack.
obviously what you are taking is the strict minimum because you know that if something happens you are going to have to walk (In my case, I couldn't leave my 12kg printer because I d have no way to get it back to university with me).
then, finally, after waiting, you get the confirmation that you are leaving the next morning at 7 am. to be honest, I couldn't sleep all night I was so stressed. We had heard that roads were bombed and we were obviously scared to be a target.
We got to the rendez-vous point at 7 and waited an hour not knowing what was going to happen. the stress level was such that a mother started insulting her child because he was too slow to sit down.

at 8 sharp, an Israeli jet decided to be an alarm clock and broke the sound barrier. that s when we decided to get out of there.
the driver took the oddest routes in order not to take the risk of being bombed.







we saw the Lebanese landscape passing by, a lot of people were crying, sad to have left all behind.

I never had any feelings for Lebanon, except this time. tears were on the verge of falling, all I could do was to keep my mind as straight as possible in order to tell people what was going on.
the trip went very well until a point where we saw black smoke.

at first, I thought it was an old truck in front of us expelling black fumes from its huge exhaust pipe that was in a blind spot, but then I saw while we passed it, a truck that had been exploded and that was still freshly smocking.



that gave us a reality check and you could feel a vibe of fear crossing the bus. from then on the last hour of ride to the border was a nightmare. we were all scared of being the next target.


we finally arrived to the border with at least 1000 other people at the same time.
you could see every single negative emotion on their faces: fear, despair, but most of all you could hear them thinking: "what are we going to do now?" and all these questions of why? how? when? where?... it was all about survival...
it took us at least 2h to cross that thin boarder.

I can tell you the relief when we saw the sign "Welcome to Syria" and also the sadness of having left people behind.

For my part, I continued with my sister and 5 other people to Amman. the entire trip from start to stop lasted us 10h. and we were lucky. we had paid $75
to get away from harm's way.
$75 that gave me what 10000 roller coasters wouldn't even get close to give.













and we were lucky..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home